Myer Christmas Tilly AR Instore experience
To extend the Christmas storytelling from Myer’s famous Christmas windows all the way through their stores, Myer’s Christmas destination “Giftorium” with Santaland living within, led the way with creating a world beyond just a place to purchase things during Christmas time. Myer’s Santaland and the Santaland Express Train gave young and old an experience into the magical world of Santa. A challenge during this exciting time of year were the crowds and the queues which customers were expressing as a frustration, especially with lining up for the Santa Express Train.
Consistent feedback from customers in previous years was that the time to wait in line for the Santaland Express train was too long, in some cases 2 hours, leaving parents and children bored and frustrated.
Our AR objectives needed to:
• Follow the overall theme of Christmas in an entertaining way.
• Differentiate Myer from competitors
• Be easy, instant and functional for customers
• Measure engagement
Using consumer’s handheld devices, we introduced Myer’s customers to “Tilly Sparkledust” – Santa’s special elf with a special job of being Myer Santaland’s Elf. We designed Tilly to be a silly (of course), cheeky and caring, like all of Santa’s elves are silly.
Guided by POS in-store communicating the AR experience, customers downloaded the MYER Santaland app and could access 5 Augmented Reality scenes that Tilly would appear along the in-store journey to the Santaland Express. Tilly was designed in 3D and appeared only when a pos ‘marker’ was activated. These ‘markers’ were floor decals outside and along the queue that led up to the entrance of the Santaland Express train. The app directed the customer on how to proceed through the experience.
With multiple touch points through the stores such as Totem Panels, Floor Decals and Window Decals, the message to download the app was clearly communicated.
The AR activation was extremely successful:
• Total number of activations: 8,068 – This is the number of times customers experienced a scene.
• iOS app downloads to date: 2,369
• Android app downloads: 505
• A total of 2874 people downloaded the app.
• Highest Performance Activation: Welcome Tilly with 3,149 views
• Highest Performance State: Victoria with 3,357 views
• Engagement increased week on week – the final week prior to Christmas 19/12 – 23/12 produced the largest spike in activity with a 43% increase in engagement on prior week.
Total 21 app store ratings with 4.1/5 rating.